Tishkina Anna Vladimirovna, Candidate of historical sciences, associate professor, sub-department of Russian history and historical education technique, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), E-mail: email@example.com
Background. The provision of food to the population, including during the civil war in Russia, is of considerable interest. One of the ways of redistribution of products was public catering. The purpose of the work is to analyze the specifics of catering organization in the bread–producing provinces of the Middle Volga region (Penza, Samara and Simbirsk).
Materials and methods. The objectives of the work were completed on the basis a study of a wide range of documents from central (the State Archive of the Russian Federation, the Russian State Archive of Economy) and local archives (the State Archive of Penza region), as well as published documents and periodicals. In the course of the study the comparative-historical and statistical methods were used.
Results. The level of scientific knowledge of the problem is considered. The features of the organization of public canteens in the producing provinces of the middle Volga region, its class orientation, as well as advantages and problems are revealed. Calculations of the total number of the population using catering services are made and compared with the total figures for the country.
Conclusions. The organization of Soviet catering was part of the Soviet distribution system with a pronounced class orientation. It played a special role in the supply of products to workers. In the provinces of the middle Volga region, the population preferred homemade food, about 2 % were eating at canteens.
1. Pol'skiy M. P. Leninskaya zabota o trudyashchikhsya: organizatsiya pitaniya naseleniya Sovetskoy strany (oktyabr' 1917 – 1930-e gg.) [Lenin’s care for workers: organizing nourishment for the population of the Soviet country (October 1917 – 1930s)]. Moscow: Mysl', 1984, 192 p. [In Russian]
2. Davydov M. I. Bor'ba za khleb. Prodovol'stvennaya politika Kommunisticheskoy partii i Sovetskogo gosudarstva v gody grazhdanskoy voyny (1917–1920) [The struggle for bread. The nutrition policy of the communistic party and the Soviet state during the Civil War (1917–1920)]. Moscow, 1971, pp. 168–207. [In Russian]
3. Basin S. G. Uchenye zapiski Kuybyshevskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo instituta [Proceedings of Kuybyshev State Pedagogical Institute]. 1975, vol. 160, iss. V, 85 p. [In Russian]
4. Krasil'nikova K. M. Bor'ba za khleb v Srednem Povolzh'e v period inostrannoy voennoy interventsii i grazhdanskoy voyny: dis. kand. ist. nauk [The struggle for bread in the Middle Volga region during the foreign military intervention and the Civil War: dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of historical sciences]. Kuybyshev, 1968. [In Russian]
5. Medvedev E. I. Grazhdanskaya voyna v Srednem Povolzh'e (1918–1919 gg.) [The Civil War in the Middle Volga region (1918–1919)]. Saratov: Izd-vo Saratovskogo un-ta, 1974, 352 p. [In Russian]
6. Sharoshkin N. A. Povolzhskiy kray: mezhvuz. nauch. sb. [The Volga region: interuniversity proceedings]. Saratov: Izd-vo Saratovskogo un-ta, 1988, iss. 10, 184 p. [In Russian]
7. Borisov V. I. Prodovol'stvennaya politika na Yuge Rossii (avgust 1914 – mart 1921): dis. d-ra ist. nauk [The nutrition policy in the South of Russia (August 1914 – March 1921): dissertation to aplly for the degree of the doctor of historical sciences]. Moscow, 1996, 432 p. [In Russian]
8. Vasil'ev A. A. Prodovol'stvennaya politika Sovetskogo gosudarstva v 1918–1920 gg. (na materialakh Nizhnego Povolzh'ya): dis. kand. ist. nauk [The nutrition policy of the Soviet state in 1918–1920 (on materials of the Lower Volga region): dissertation of the candidate of historical sciences]. Saratov, 2001, 231 p. [In Russian]
9. Davydov A. Yu. Voprosy istorii [Historical issues]. 2013, no. 11, pp. 14–37. [In Russian]
10. Zolotukhina L. I. Prepodavanie istorii v shkole [Teaching history at school]. 2009, no. 6, pp. 37–39. [In Russian]
11. Filippov I. T. Prodovol'stvennaya politika v Rossii (1917–1923 gg.): dis. d-ra ist. nauk [The nutrition policy in Russia (1917–1923): dissertation to apply for the degree of the doctor of historical sciences]. Moscow, 1995. [In Russian]
12. Chukanov I. A. Voprosy istorii [Historical issues]. 2001, no. 3, pp. 128–135. [In Russian]
13. Zaytseva E. Rodina [“Rodina” journal]. 2016, no. 11, pp. 82–91. [In Russian]
14. Il'yukhov A. A. Zhizn' v epokhu peremen: material'noe polozhenie gorodskikh zhiteley v gody revolyutsii i Grazhdanskoy voyny (1917–1921 gg.) [Living in age of change: the welfare standards of townspeople during the Revolution and the Civil War (1917–1921)]. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2007, 263 p. [In Russian]
15. Lebina N. Sovetskaya povsednevnost': normy i anomalii. Ot voennogo kommunizma k bol'shomu stilyu [Soviet everyday life: Norms and anomalies. From military communism to large-scale style]. Moscow: Novoe literaturnoe obozrenie, 2016, 488 p. [In Russian]
16. Nerar F.-K. Rossiyskaya istoriya [Russian history]. 2016, no. 1, pp. 84–97. [In Russian]
17. Dekrety Sovetskoy vlasti: v 18 t. [Decrees of the Soviet rule: in 18 volumes]. Moscow: Politizdat, 1957, vol. I. [In Russian]
18. Dekrety Sovetskoy vlasti: v 18 t. [Decrees of the Soviet rule: in 18 volumes]. Moscow: Politizdat, 1978, vol. IX. [In Russian]
19. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Penzenskoy oblasti (GAPO) [State Archive of Penza region (GAPO)]. F. r-9. Op. 1. D. 334. [In Russian]
20. Dekrety Sovetskoy vlasti: v 18 t. [Decrees of the Soviet rule: in 18 volumes]. Moscow: Politizdat, 1975, vol. VII. [In Russian]
21. Dekrety Sovetskoy vlasti: v 18 t. [Decrees of the Soviet rule: in 18 volumes]. Moscow: Politizdat, 1976, vol. VIII. [In Russian]
22. Il'yushchenko D. V. Vestnik Rossiyskogo universiteta druzhby narodov. Ser.: Gosudarstvennoe i munitsipal'noe upravlenie [Bulletin of RUDN University. Series: State and municipal administration]. 2014, no. 4. Available at: https:// rucont.ru/efd/418402
23. Dekrety Sovetskoy vlasti: v 18 t. [Decrees of the Soviet rule: in 18 volumes]. Moscow: Politizdat, 1983, vol. XI. [In Russian]
24. GAPO. F. r-9. Op. 1. D. 6.
25. Rossiyskiy gosudarstvennyy arkhiv ekonomiki (RGAE) [Russian State Archive of Economy (RGAE)]. F. 1943. Op. 3. D. 668. [In Russian]
26. GAPO. F. r-9. Op. 1. D. 106.
27. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Rossiyskoy Federatsii (GARF) [State Archive of the Russian Federation (GARF)]. F. 5452. Op. 4. D. 31. [In Russian]
28. GARF. F. 5452. Op. 2. D. 23.
29. GAPO. F. r-9. Op. 1. D. 335.
30. GAPO. F. r-9. Op. 1. D. 559.
31. Smolina V. A., Aleksushin G. V. Izvestiya Instituta sistem upravleniya SGEU [Proceedings of the Institute of Management Systems of SSUE]. 2020, no. 1 (21), pp. 60–63. [In Russian]
32. GARF. F. 5452. Op. 5. D. 23.
33. GARF. F. 5452. Op. 3. D. 15.
34. Sharoshkin N. A. Istoriografiya i istoriya sotsial'no-ekonomicheskogo i obshchestvenno-politicheskogo razvitiya Rossii v noveyshee vremya [Historiography and history of socioeconomic and sociopolitical development of Russian in the contemporary history]. Ivanovo, 1995. [In Russian]
35. Izvestiya Narodnogo komissariata po prodovol'stviyu [Proceedings of the People’s Commissariat for Provisions]. 1920, no. 6. [In Russian]
36. GAPO. F. r-2. Op. 1. D. 964.
37. Sbornik statisticheskikh svedeniy po Penzenskoy gubernii. 1920–1926 [Statistical data collection of Penza region. 1920–1926]. Penza, 1927, 913 p. [In Russian]